Fall is here…what to cook?
Like clockwork, with the passing of Labor Day came the cooler weather. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still in the 80′s here in Atlanta, but we’ve definitely had cooler mornings and evenings. But I know this is only the beginning of much colder weather, which I am certainly not a fan of. I can appreciate the change in seasons and the beauty of Fall but Winter…that’s a whole other story. Right now I’m enjoying it because you can really enjoy opening your windows to get that fresh breeze (YAY! No more air conditioner!) or sit outside to eat without sweating.
Another fun part about Fall is the new crop of food. More hearty meals, comfort foods and for me, more desserts. So to help me get back in my cooking groove, I’ve made a list of fall appropriate recipes to try. You guys should see my google reader “starred” folder. It’s outrageous (anyone else have this problem?). I mark soooo many things, it’s almost impossible to get through.
Here, I’ve narrowed it down to my top fifteen to try in the next couple of months.
- Chicken Meatball and Tortellini Noodle Soup - I love a good soup and despite the ingredient list, this looks simple enough
- Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup - I really could’ve added a few more soups to the list but I wanted to try and give you a variety and this has your meat, starch and green all in one
- Sweet Potato Burgers - Ladybird JP Archie suggested this recipe from her new favorite blog. I like it too!
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos - I’ve made these before, so kind of cheating here. But they were so tasty that I need to bring them back
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili - I really have a thing for sweet potatoes like others like pumpkin. The combination of black beans and sweet potatoes is just perfect.
- Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo - This has been on my list for over a year. I even bought the seasonings already so this will definitely get made on a Sunday
- Raw Collard Green Slaw - Gotta keep those greens alive in the winter. This is similar to the marinated collard greens at Whole Foods. Have you had those?
- Detox Salad - Another confession, I’ve made this several times and shared it with all my friends because it was that good. Another raw recipe and it makes a bunch that will last for lunch throughout the week. Love it.
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Cranberry and Barley - I’ve become a big fan of brussel sprouts and even converted my husband.
- Steel Cut Oatmeal - Can’t forget about breakfast. I haven’t tried steel-cut oats and I’m not sure which recipe I will try yet but I want to take a shot at it.
- Sweet Potato Pancakes - I know, sweet potatoes again. These just look and sound like the perfect weekend brunch on that chilly Saturday morning
- Apple Pancake - Apples will be at their peek so another breakfast treat that only seems natural this time of year
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars - Caramel…apples…dessert…nothing left to say
- Chocolate Banana Bundt Cake - I made this slammin’ banana cake last year so I’m thinking the addition of a little chocolate will be divine
- Pear Crisp - This will also be a good time for pears too and a crisp is a simple dessert, right up my alley
Wow! That was actually hard to narrow down. But mission was accomplished because I am actually kind of excited. I hope you were inspired too!
What’s on your agenda to cook? I’d love to know.
Chat ya’ later